
Ahhh, Valentine's Day. In between helping my children cut out hearts and cleaning up spilled paint, it occurred to me that while I've done a wonderful job of preparing for their Valentine's Day, I haven't prepared anything for my own sweetheart! And then it occurred to me that he hasn't mentioned anything about plans for this momentous occasion.
Now, I know there are plenty of people out there (mainly men) who "boycott" V-Day, claiming that it is too commercialized. These same people often claim that they express their love on a daily basis, all throughout the year. Somehow I have a hard time believing that these individuals who are so cynical about V-Day are the "romantic type". But I'm getting away from what I actually logged on to write about. Let's get back to me...
Last year my sweetheart (and I'm only using that term this week, in honor of V-Day) gave me a sleeping bag. An unconventional gesture of romance, I know. My first thought: "What?! A sleeping bag? Is this his way of telling me that our relationship is all about him wanting to get me in the sack? Or was this a last minute gift that he picked up while doing his own shopping at Sportsman's Warehouse?" Reminding myself that I'm supposed to be working on viewing things in a more positive light, I reframed the situation resulting in this thought: "How sweet- he's telling me that he wants to spend more time with me; this way, I can go along with him on all his fishing and hunting trips. Just the three of us... me, him, his hunting buddy... yay!" Needless to say, that sleeping bag is still in the box. But I probably should point out that it is a very nice sleeping bag and it is pink, so he obviously picked it out with me in mind.
Yes, my sweetheart has been known to give some very nice gifts. For my birthday he bought me an upgraded cell phone. The birthday before that, he bought me a laptop. For Christmas he bought me a flat screen TV. These are all gifts that I have thoroughly enjoyed... as has he! My sweetheart is a very practical person, so it only makes sense that he would purchase a product we can both use.
I just want some friggin' flowers!! Is that too much for a girl to ask? They don't have to be expensive roses- even carnations would do (although that wouldn't be my preference). If it helps him justify his purchase of a "frivolous" item, he can buy me a potted plant... the gift that keeps giving and giving.
My point here (I think) is that Valentine's Day is a special day and even if you express your love every day of the year, there's gotta be some way to express it just a little more on this one day. Dinner and a movie, a bubble bath and massage, a singing telegram delivered by a barbershop quartet... it can be something you might do any other day of the year, but it will be special because you did it on this day of the year.
Gosh. Now I'm feeling a bit ungrateful by complaining about all the technological gifts he has given me. You can keep those coming too, baby. Perhaps you can just wrap them in scented paper and seal it with a kiss.
And I know some of you will point out that I have not yet planned anything special for him. I'm thinking I may need to go down to the shed and pull out that pink sleeping bag. I can lay it out in front of our flat screen TV and we can watch the hunting channel. Together. And maybe I'll call him from the nifty cell phone he gave me, just to say "I love you".
Now, I know there are plenty of people out there (mainly men) who "boycott" V-Day, claiming that it is too commercialized. These same people often claim that they express their love on a daily basis, all throughout the year. Somehow I have a hard time believing that these individuals who are so cynical about V-Day are the "romantic type". But I'm getting away from what I actually logged on to write about. Let's get back to me...
Last year my sweetheart (and I'm only using that term this week, in honor of V-Day) gave me a sleeping bag. An unconventional gesture of romance, I know. My first thought: "What?! A sleeping bag? Is this his way of telling me that our relationship is all about him wanting to get me in the sack? Or was this a last minute gift that he picked up while doing his own shopping at Sportsman's Warehouse?" Reminding myself that I'm supposed to be working on viewing things in a more positive light, I reframed the situation resulting in this thought: "How sweet- he's telling me that he wants to spend more time with me; this way, I can go along with him on all his fishing and hunting trips. Just the three of us... me, him, his hunting buddy... yay!" Needless to say, that sleeping bag is still in the box. But I probably should point out that it is a very nice sleeping bag and it is pink, so he obviously picked it out with me in mind.
Yes, my sweetheart has been known to give some very nice gifts. For my birthday he bought me an upgraded cell phone. The birthday before that, he bought me a laptop. For Christmas he bought me a flat screen TV. These are all gifts that I have thoroughly enjoyed... as has he! My sweetheart is a very practical person, so it only makes sense that he would purchase a product we can both use.
I just want some friggin' flowers!! Is that too much for a girl to ask? They don't have to be expensive roses- even carnations would do (although that wouldn't be my preference). If it helps him justify his purchase of a "frivolous" item, he can buy me a potted plant... the gift that keeps giving and giving.
My point here (I think) is that Valentine's Day is a special day and even if you express your love every day of the year, there's gotta be some way to express it just a little more on this one day. Dinner and a movie, a bubble bath and massage, a singing telegram delivered by a barbershop quartet... it can be something you might do any other day of the year, but it will be special because you did it on this day of the year.
Gosh. Now I'm feeling a bit ungrateful by complaining about all the technological gifts he has given me. You can keep those coming too, baby. Perhaps you can just wrap them in scented paper and seal it with a kiss.
And I know some of you will point out that I have not yet planned anything special for him. I'm thinking I may need to go down to the shed and pull out that pink sleeping bag. I can lay it out in front of our flat screen TV and we can watch the hunting channel. Together. And maybe I'll call him from the nifty cell phone he gave me, just to say "I love you".
Three cheers for your sweetheart. He's a practical man with his choices. A man after my own heart.
ReplyDelete