Monday, July 19, 2010

Chicken Soup for the Crabby Soul

My first and only post this year was on January 1st. I think my lack of time, energy or motivation to indulge in any blogging for the past six months is enough to justify this TWO WEEK vacation from work. Other than blogging, though, I will be doing other important things. Like spending quality time with my children.

Today was the first day of our summer trip. I try to be like normal families, who keep the tradition of "summer vacation" alive. It gives parents the excuse opportunity to take advantage of all those accumulated PTO hours to celebrate the milestone of their children finishing out one school year before beginning another, not to mention good ol' family togetherness.

I remember some fantastic summer vacations during my childhood. Some highlights include numerous road trips throughtout the states... I remember Old Faithful, Mount Rushmore, Utah, Michican, the Catwalk in New Mexico... we would often picnic along the way, but I remember one time throwing up after the second or third day of egg salad sandwiches kept "refrigerated" in a cooler. One vacation was a bit more extravagant: to England & Scotland where we stayed in B&Bs and visited castles, castles, and more castles. During summers where my parents were perhaps tired of spending money on cool places teaching us the value of frugal vacationing, we took mini road trips through every ghost town in Arizona. Fascinating stuff.

I do remember my childhood trip to Disneyland, and that is where I'm taking my children this summer. God bless my in-laws who are going to babysit accompany my children and me to the happiest place on earth.

Before that, though, my children and I are spending two nights here at The Wigwam Resort in Phoenix. I had to pay extra for internet access which is why I'm sitting here blogging past midnight (want to get my money's worth!). I got this great deal by "naming my own price" on Priceline, and was thrilled that my bid resulted in this upscale, relaxing, spa-ish resort.

I must have forgotten that it would be JUST ME with my two (not usually, but definitely today) unruly children.

Single moms, take note:

While "vacationing" with your little monsters young children, there are 4 rules you must follow:

Rule #1: Resist the temptation to order "in-room meals".
Example: If you are too lazy to go out to dinner and instead opt to "order in" through room service, know that you will be paying too much money for meals that will not be appreciated for their elegance and novelty. Ok- it was just spaghetti and chicken fingers, but still:














Rule #2: When you first arrive to your room, scan the surrounding area through the eyes of your child.
Example: If you are lucky enough to get a room with a balcony overlooking the pool & jacuzzi, think ahead to the fascination your child might have with this setup. What does a 4-yr-old boy like to do more than anything? Throw things, of course. Combine that with a jacuzzi down below, and voila!... chicken finger soup!
















Rule #3: Supervise your children at all times.
Example: Do not take a shower while your children are still awake. Otherwise, you may find your children watching a pay-per-view episode of Curious George ($2.99). Thank God it wasn't a full feature movie for $13.99! And yes- I realize that there are parental controls. Again, refer to Rule #2 and the whole "thinking ahead" piece.

Rule #4: Don't be stupid.
Example: Realize that when you say to your children, "Stay inside while I put the food tray outside by the door", they are not going to stay inside but are going to slip out past you because it's soooo fascinating for them to know where the food tray goes. Then the door closes. And your key is inside the locked room. And there are the three of you, barefoot in your pajamas and the most logical option is to walk clear across the expansive resort to the hotel lobby. Thank God for our hotel neighbor who came outside just in time and was able to call the lobby for us.

As the kids and I waited for hotel security to arrive and laugh at us, I was obviously a tad bit irritated with the kids. But in one instance- with just one statement- my 4-yr-old son was able to bring my heart back into this vacation. "This day was being so much fun," he said. "But now it just got worse because we're locked out and you're mad and now we're gonna miss the whole Curious George."

"We've had enough curious monkey antics for the day," I thought to myself. But perceiving this through the mind of my little boy, I was reminded that he too had expectations of a grand ol' time on our summer vacation. And I certainly don't want his memory of this trip to be clouded by remembrances of a crabby mommy.

"It's ok, Bubbys. Today had lots of fun parts and tomorrow will be a new day."

Bonus Rule: Chill out, crabby mommy. Relax and enjoy your QUALITY TIME with your precious little monkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment